Create the visual effect of one bone remaining still while the others move relative to it
- TopMenu Create/Cameras/Camera
- with new camera selected, go to the perspective panel and select panels/look through selected
- use Maya perspective navigation to create a useful view of the model in the camera1 panel (used to be the perspective panel)
- with the new camera still selected, shift-select the reference bone in the hypergraph hierarchy (i.e. select child then parent)
- type p to parent the camera to the reference bone
The reference bone should now remain still when the animation is played.