- Loading & Exporting Records
- Global Update
- Josiah Reference
- Releases, Enhancements, Updates
- HOW TO... notes on various topics
- Create lists "how to"
- Locations "how to"
- Patrons "how to"
- Equipment circulation "how to"
- Requesting "how to"
- Lists & Reports
- Josiah Care & Feeding
- Problem Log
- System Administrator at Brown: Bonnie Buzzell, Bonnie_Buzzell@brown.edu, work 401-863-3599, home 401-751-6127, mobile 401-487-0245. Feel free to contact Bonnie at any time (24/7) regarding any Josiah/Millennium issues.
- Other staff members who are authorized for many administrative functions include:
- Ted Lawless - general system admin, problem reporting
- Steve E. Thompson - logins, initials & passwords, Tech Services issues and problems
- Bart Hollingsworth - Circulation
- Jean Rainwater - general system administration, problem reporting
- INNOVATIVE HELP DESK,
- Bonnie should be contacted when available. Others who can also contact Innovative are Jean Rainwater, Steve E. Thompson. In a pinch anyone can call.
- telephone: 1-800-878-6600; ask for "help desk"; identify yourself as call from Brown University, and give our site code, which is BROWN.
- III CSDirect - Innovative's customer service website
- Innovative Users Group (IUG)
- IUG List Serve Archive
- Manual, Brown's current release (2009b) on our server: http://josiah.brown.edu/manual
- Exporting Records (Data Exchange or Read/Write MARC Records)
- Load Tables
- load table protection etc. - emails Dec. 2009
- how to create a list while loading a file, from GY:
- Staff who load records
- Catherine Busselen's (and others?) notes, 2012
- Video Exports
- 2/20/2012 - Innovative gave us guidance on handling large files of records to update:
- global update and loading records require "control" to process records, and there is a danger of the bib temp file filling up and creating problems throughout the system
- therefore it is best to check if others are doing system intensive tasks like create lists, loading records, doing global update, etc.
- recommend breaking the file into more managemable chunks, then doing a buildup; e.g., first update 30,000 records, then 40,000, then 50 and so on -- as long as it runs pretty fast that is OK
- one login setting that can be helpful is setting the maximum number of records to process: under "admin" got to "settings" and choose "global update". Enter the number of records you want to process. While you're at it, you might want to check the box to create a review file of records that can't be processed because they are busy. Note that this setting affects the login, so if you have your own there's no problem; if others who do global update share your login consider resetting the max number, or make sure others know how to change it.
- let's keep track of how big a file we can easily process:
- Jan. 20, 2015 - install second acquisitions unit for JCB
- Feb 21, 2014 - IP change (old 188.8.131.52) new 184.108.40.206
- Dec 30, 2014 - maintenance update 2011 1.6
- Feb 23, 2013 - rebooted server (will it help with reports of mill freezing?)
- June 18, 2013 - innovative added additional checkin record numbers to system
- June 27, 2013 - innovative upgraded to 2011 1.4 (oclc# expanded)
- December 2, 2013 - innovative added more bib numbers, beginning with 7 million...
- January 2012 - Maintenance Release 2009b 1.4
- March 2012 - Release 2011 1.1
- June 2012 - Maintenance Release 2011 1.2
- July 1, 2012 - Reset YTDCIRC and LYRCIRC
- November 11, 2012 - new SSL and key were installed. (CIS initiated the acqusitions of new certificate. Contacted III who advised I should open "service commitment" and supply cert. and key. III did the install. Info in manual did not apply to our situation with a new certificate and a new company.)
- Jan-Feb 2011 - NCIP code installed for Relais/BD
- Feb. 9, 2011 - software update 2009B 1.2. Fixed in this release.
- Mar 4, 2011 - dynamic links to full text titles in Josiah if they are available in Google Books, the Hathi Trust, or the Open Library e.g:http://josiah.brown.edu/record=b2265167 (Ted)
- Mar 30, 2011 - new version of book locator moved to live port (Ted)
- Spring, 2011 - project to normalize location codes
- June, 2011 - project to create checkin records for ca. 15,000 serials that lack them - related to easyArticle and desire to have all print serials recorded in Serials Solutions 360 link
- June, 2011 - project to clean up 856's
- January, 2010 - book locator
- February 18, 2010 - reboot (kernel tuning)
- May 2010 - network access for oclcnet
- May 2010 - Releases 2009a and 2009b
- July 2010 - boopsie, including Josiah
- July 16, 2010 - URL checker installed
- July 20, 2010 - new server
- July 23, 2010 - software update2009b 1.1
- Aug 4, 2010 - 2009b 1.1 early adopter update (full 1.1)
- Sept. 11, 2010 - added checkin records (c1233638)
- Sept. 14, 2010 - re-index database (advanced search wasn't working)
- Nov. 30, 2010 - changed z39.50 export table to match others
upload a list of barcodes to Josiah, then export data to excel .
- NEW METHOD. Must have "offline circ" on your computer. http://csdirect.iii.com/downloads/offline_circ.shtml
(1) Make txt or csv file of barcodes formatted "n:2123600123457". DELETE FIRST LINE IF IT IS NOT A BARCODE
(2) Save it and rename it "circ.dat" (i.e., now a dat file, not a .txt file).
(3) Put it on your computer in the c/millennium/offline directory, replacing/deleting the file that may already be there.
(4) Launch Millennium Offline circ
(5) Under file choose "upload circulation and patron..." (this moves the data to the server) You will get a message of the number of transactions that have been sent. Say "OK" After uploading you are asked in you want to clear the file; that's probably a good idea.
(6) Launch telnet, and go to circulation, additional functions, and choose P>Process PC transactions.
(7) then choose C>Compare inventory to shelf list.
(8) then choose T>Transfer file of barcodes to a review file
(9) Choose a file large enough for your file of barcodes and name it
(10) BEFORE YOU SELECT YOUR FILE DELETE OLD FILES.
(11) select your file; usually easiest to do by date.
- * create lists - David Jones method - "David Jones method" uses telnet with 99 elements at a time
- * create lists: save search query - save search query
* locations: making/editing location codes - adding new location
* patrons: copy net id to email - copy net-id to e-mail
* records for instructional media Instructional Multimedia folks, and put on reserve
* turning requesting off or on in public Josiah is done in Request Rules in Adavanced System Access & Admin. See comments in each section. bb 6/3/2013
- Collection growth/use 2004-2007, summer 2007
- Sci serial/monog analysis, 9/24/07 (for HH)
- Video items, 9/9/2008(for DC)
- VHS items, 9/10/2008 (for DC)
- Data sources, 9/29/2008 (for TS); Notes on how to update this, 3/15/2010
- Items - by Location and Call, 11/17/2008
- US Doc Serial Set at Annex, 11/18/2008 (for DO)
- Media in Storage, 11/19/2008 (for BH and sr folks)
- Update patron records at start of semester. Need to copy email, and assign undergrads to appropriate PCODE1. Notes from 9/9/09.
- 9/9/2009: Deleted patron records with 0 checkouts and no $$$ that expired more than 3 years ago; about 700.
- 9/9/2009: received word that BRU extract should have corrected contact information
- 9/10/2009: Admitted students who do not enroll are not flagged by BRU extracts. Bonnie submitted BRU request via remedy: "We received records for students who were accepted and (initially) planned to enroll. However, we do not receive any information for those that subsequently do not enroll, so they remain "active" in the library system. It would be great to have a solution to this before next year's class is admitted."
- Josiah Location Codes (as Google Doc) with corresponding Bib Location, ITYPE, and 710, updated 7/5/11
- adding a new location, and list of locations added
- project to normalize location codes, 2011
Macros & Scripts
- Innovative Product, (111) Millennium Load Scheduler
- Other tools & examples
- custom programming - Annex requests
- Expect Scripts
- Josiah routines to consider automating
- Additional Josiah location for Annex, Nov 2009
- URL checking, Feb 2010
- Loan rules for Annex (qs) periodicals, March 2010
- Integrate media services collection into SciLi, Fall 2010
- Millennium for special collections, 2010-11
- Normalize locations, spring 2011
- Josiah - Annex GFA system synchronization
- See "contact" above for reporting problems to Innovative
- InRhode item records that are "stuck" e-mail exchange, Bart-Ruth S. Sep 2009
- Records in Use Problem Jan 2010
- Ports in Use Problem Oct 2009, Feb 2010
- Patron load creates duplicate record repeatedly Old problem, notes made Mar 2010
- enhancement voting results April 2010 - rows highlighted in yellow are the ones we voted for and are among the "winners"; rows in blue are ones we voted for that are not "winners." "Winners" appear first in the list, with green in the "winner" column. No guarantee that anything will become a priority with Innovative, but they do take it into account.
Page: Innovative Products - Millennium Load Scheduler
Page: Josiah - Annex GFA system synchronization
Page: Josiah - Circ Rules for Annex Periodicals
Page: Josiah - Clickers
Page: Josiah Codes
Page: Josiah - Create Lists - David Jones telnet method
Page: Josiah - Create Lists - Save Search Query
Page: Josiah development (BB)
Page: Josiah Enhancements & Updates - March 2, 2009
Page: Josiah - Google Book Images & Links
Page: Josiah - Instructional Multimedia
Page: Josiah lists - data sources
Page: Josiah - Millennium Load Scheduler
Page: Josiah - More detailed item information for some journal volumes
Page: Josiah - network access for oclcnet
Page: Josiah - Normalize Location Codes - 2011
Page: Josiah - Problem Log, 2010
Page: Josiah - Project - URL checking
Page: Josiah - Receive an e-mail alert when a newly cataloged item matches a saved search
Page: Josiah - Records in Use Problem
Page: Josiah - Release 2007
Page: Josiah - Releases 2009a and 2009b
Page: Josiah - routines to consider automating
Page: Josiah - Server 2010
Page: Josiah - Text message a call number & title to a mobile phone
Page: Josiah troubleshooting - Download creates duplicate patron records
Page: Josiah Troubleshooting - Ports in Use
Page: Load Tables
Page: Location - adding new location
Page: Patrons - copy net-id to email
Page: Release 2011
Page: Sci Li - Media Collections
Page: Staff who load records into Josiah
Page: Video exports