Importing .obj models:
- In Maya, select imp on the MayaTool Shelf
- Click on impObjs, select the file and click OK
- Repeat for each model
- Hover mouse over models and press number key 5 for "smooth shade."
- Press number key 4 to toggle back to mesh view, and then 5 again
- Placing each model into a separate layer makes it easy to turn visibility off and on.
- Select the object you wish to create a layer for.
- On the right side of the screen, click on the Channel Box/Layer Editor tab.
- Click Layers -> Create Layer from Selected
- Double click on the "Layer1" and rename the layer to the name of the bone.
- Clicking on the left box (highlighted in green) will make the object visible or invisible.
- Clicking on the right box will (highlighted in yellow)
- T- Make the object transparent
- R- Make the object fully visible but unable to be selected