Mesh models created in OsiriX should be saved in .obj format
Importing .obj models:
- In Maya, go to file<import
- Make sure the file type is set to .obj
- select the file and click ok
- repeat for each model
- hover mouse over models and press number key 5 for "smooth shade"
- press 4 to toggle back to mesh view, and then 5 again
Problems with importing models from OsiriX
Models created in OsiriX have two problems when imported into Maya: they are 10x too large (see how small and far away the reference grid is in the image below?) and they have irregular polygon normals, so the surface reflects light incorrectly in Maya smooth shade mode.
To scale models down to 0.1x size:
- Shift-select all bones and markers in the scene
- Press button in farthest right top corner of Maya to open Channel Box/Layer Editor (if it is not already open)
- Set all of the 1s to the right of Scale X, Y, Z, to the value 0.1
- Shift-select the three scale name attributes (the words Scale X, Scale Y, Scale Z), then right click and Select Freeze/Scale. This will set the scale back to 1 without changing the size of the models. This effectively sets the scale for your models to cm.