Mesh models created in OsiriX should be saved in .obj format
Importing .obj models:
- In Maya, go to file<import
- Make sure the file type is set to .obj
- select the file and click ok
- repeat for each model
Problems with importing models from OsiriX
Models created in OsiriX have two problems when imported into Maya
import OBJ models of skull and mandible into Maya
- hover mouse over models and press number key 5 for "smooth shade"
- press 4 to toggle back to mesh view, and then 5 again
these models were made and saved to OBJ format in OsiriX, so they have two problems: they are 10x too large and the polygons have incorrect "normals"
to scale models down to 0.1, shift-select skull and mandible, press button in farthest right top corner of Maya to open Channel Box/Layer Editor, shift select all of the 1s to the right of Scale X, Y, Z, type 0.1 and press enter. Shift-select the scale name attributes, then right click and "Freeze"/scale (this will reset the current scale to cm)